From air-conditioning and lighting to cooking, sleeping and catching burglars, the likes of Google, Amazon, Samsung, Nest and Belkin are inventing homes of the future so smart regular homes hide their fascias in shame.
1. Hub - Samsung SmartThings
For coordinating all your other smart devices.
2. Thermostat - Nest Learning Thermostat
A thermostat that saves energy by learning when you like different temperatures and knows when you’ve left the house.
3. Video monitor - Nest Cam
Nest Cam is a security camera that can detect people and save footage to the cloud.
4. Light bulb - Stack Alba Smart LED light bulbs
For light bulbs that know when to change from hard white to soft yellow, or when you’ve left the room.
5. Bed - Sleep Number C2 Bed
For a bed that tracks your breathing, heart rate and movement and gives advice on how to get a better night’s rest.
6. Smoke detector - Roost Smart Battery
For a cheap gadget that makes any smoke detector a smart one able to call your smartphone once the toast you forgot reaches ‘well done’.
7. Door lock - Kwikset SmartCode 916 Touchscreen Electronic Deadbolt
For a discreet smart lock with some clever features that still lets you go old school with keys if you want.
8. Cookware - Belkin WeMo Smart Slow Cooker
For those who like to check in on and tweak their lamb shanks or ragu from the office, train or beach.
9. Refrigerator - Samsung Family Hub
For those with cash to splash and need a photo of their fridge contents emailed to them, so as not to run out of milk.
10. Vacuum cleaner - Dyson 360 Eye
The robot vacuum cleaner that knows where it is , where it’s been and where it needs to go.
11. Lawn mower - Robomow RS612
For allergy sufferers or anyone with better things to do than mow the lawn.
12. Coffee maker - Oxo Cold Brew Coffee Maker
For putting on a pot of coffee without getting out of bed.